There are news reports that the anti-abortionists are readying a new wave of assaults on American women. This, at a time when there are so many other important issues facing Americans, is perplexing. As you look behind these activities you find the loose confederation of evangelicals and fundamentalists organized by “for profit” churches. Their goal is to reverse “Roe v Wade” at the minimum and at best, to make it illegal under any conditions for a woman to end her pregnancy.
Georgia is considering an initiative that will define life to begin with fertilization. Logically then anything that would end the pregnancy would, in effect, be an act of murder. I wonder if they have thought about:
1. How many “PP” (pregnancy police) they will need to spy in each bedroom to see if copulation has taken place and then run spot checks (like athelete who take urine tests) to see if the woman is pregnant?
2. What means of electronic earsdroping will be used to determine if a woman leaves the state and returns, whether she had had an abortion?
3. Could the State pursue a woman into another State on the suspicion that the woman was pregnant and might consider having an abortion?
These ridiculous situations may seem unreal but given the pending laws, they are the logical extension of thinking that chooses to subjugate a woman’s right to her reproductive health. But what is behind this?
1. In running any religion or ideological group, it is always easier to gain consensus when you present the people with an enemy. With religions, where you are dealing with faith and belief (not logic or facts), to imply that an abortion is analogous to killing, you get a quick response…”thou shalt not kill”. Just like Jim Jones, it is them against us and we have to win or they will destroy us.
2. I would certainly not categorize most of the modern evangelical and fundamentalist leaders as Jim Jones types. I would simply call them what they are… they are shrewd business men and women. They are feeding their flocks something that makes the unthinking feel they are better than others. For this people turn over buckets of dollars to these religious leaders.
3. American was founded upon the inalienable rights of individuals to personal liberties. Through out our history we have seen an enlightenment that these rights apply to everyone regardless of race, creed, or gender. (We are working on sexual preference now). How then can we protect the woman’s right to choose?
4. I suggest we fight fire with fire. Let’s begin a drive to tax all religious institutions that choose to try and influence the public agenda. I have no beef with churches that teach people how to pray or see nature as beautiful, or even how they think they should live. I react when these churches try and tell me how I should live. So, let’s tax them like any other corporation.